Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: The Punisher Contest ends Sunday, 10/12/14 at 11 PM NA time

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:09:00 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  I am the Bimminator and I want you all to do one thing this week...DESTROY!  That's right, whip out that big gun of yours and fire, fire, FIRE and rid the world of evil!  Take down those drug dealing punks, blow away those crazed Green Berets, mow down all those Mafia goons, give all those...ninjas?...a hot serving of lead.  Leave no bad guys alive, and if you destroy a few buildings, windows, signs, or other objects, that's perfectly okay!!!  You see, you are The Punisher and you need to serve up a deadly dose of punishment to those who want to make the world a more dangerous place.  But watch out!  The likes of Jigsaw, Kliegg, and the Kingpin are going to try to make sure you don't succeed.  So pull out those big guns of yours and get to firin' with...The Punisher!  Here are the rules:

• Play the stages from left to right (Hitman, Jigsaw, Kliegg, Sijo, Assassin, Kingpin).  You may not skip around.
  • Play until Game Over
  • Take your picture either right after you lose your last life (pause the game as you die), after the Game Over screen (be quick since it does not stay up long), or on the stage select screen where your high score is displayed
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 10/12/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 10/08/2014 at 12:29 AM by bimmy_lee

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:58:57 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Score updated on 2nd page

Edited: 10/12/2014 at 10:50 PM by CLAYB1RD

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:32:02 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Well, I got a bit of a doozy here...beat the game, so knowing how brief the score stays on screen after, and that the score for killing Kingpin doesn't actually tally, I tried for before and after...

Before:

*NOTE* I died just before my grenade blew up for the kill shot, that is why I'm nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, the after shot got a bit fuzzy due to the strap of the camera getting in the way...

Now, it's pretty obvious that the death of Kingpin adds 20K to the score, but just to make sure everything appropriate was in the shot, I started a game to get the high score visible (since again, it's obviously from the same run):

So in summation, my submission for this event:

SCORE: 1,028,110 (this may actually be a personal best, just for the record...I'd have to dig up my old recording to make sure though)

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:12:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
This game is a lot better than I expected after I saw the LJN logo pop up.

For an arcade-style shooter it is actually a really good implementation.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:39:50 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I still don't really understand the hate for LJN that gets around.  I've played most of their games, and although a bunch of them are mediocre at best, there aren't many outright stinkers.  THQ and Mindscape are both worse in terms of the quality of their games, but nobody ever hates on them. *shrug*

Anyway, there's a reason this was one of my favorite rentals back in the day.  Between the near-unique concept (for the time anyway...the only similar game I can think of offhand is Operation Wolf) and the solid gameplay, not to mention the familiar license, I'm actually surprised there aren't more fans of the game.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:52:18 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Edited: 10/12/2014 at 05:36 PM by BriGuy82

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:57:17 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Alright judges I've got a question. Would it be acceptable to take the pic on the high score screen? I just think its the easiest way, and it should be tamper proof too right?. If not I'll delete my score. Thanks...

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:02:23 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I know we normally don't allow the high score to count, but it would seem to be the best way to do things, seeing as the score only stays up a short period, and as shown by my run, it doesn't actually add the points for beating Kingpin until the high score screen pops up. But that's up to the organizers, I just posted my pic as supporting evidence after the high score screen shot failed hard.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:10:18 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
If the high score is the best option to capture the score, I don't have any problem in going that route.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:28:55 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I don't have a problem with having people capture their high score on the high score screen either. I'll add this to the rules.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:22:33 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I know we normally don't allow the high score to count, but it would seem to be the best way to do things, seeing as the score only stays up a short period, and as shown by my run, it doesn't actually add the points for beating Kingpin until the high score screen pops up. But that's up to the organizers, I just posted my pic as supporting evidence after the high score screen shot failed hard.

I've never interpreted the rules that way, and can't think of a time I've seen the judges dump a score that was based on an obviously player-generated "high score" value, in-game.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:24:01 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I still don't really understand the hate for LJN that gets around.  I've played most of their games, and although a bunch of them are mediocre at best, there aren't many outright stinkers.  THQ and Mindscape are both worse in terms of the quality of their games, but nobody ever hates on them. *shrug*

Anyway, there's a reason this was one of my favorite rentals back in the day.  Between the near-unique concept (for the time anyway...the only similar game I can think of offhand is Operation Wolf) and the solid gameplay, not to mention the familiar license, I'm actually surprised there aren't more fans of the game.
Well, in my limited experience with their games, I think I have been 50/50, in terms of playable games versus stinkers.

You're right on THQ and Mindscape having at least as bad of a hit-ratio, though.

This one is a really great game, though.  I'd say it's better than Operation Wolf, for sure, for the destructable environments, if nothing else.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:12:43 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I don't have a problem with having people capture their high score on the high score screen either. I'll add this to the rules.

Cool, thanks. It can be a distraction sometimes to focus on taking the pic after you die instead of just playing through to the best of your ability... I know some games we don't really have a choice, but this one it seemed as though we did.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:04:42 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

I've never interpreted the rules that way, and can't think of a time I've seen the judges dump a score that was based on an obviously player-generated "high score" value, in-game.

I think I was thinking of those runs where you have to quit on the last man.  Stuff like Gradius was like that, even though the game displays a high score on screen.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:25:45 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
This game is alot better than I expected. It even inspired me to go back and watch one of my favorite movies growing up. The original and the best Punisher movie IMO...

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:44:05 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
So I'm not the only one that liked that movie either

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:05:21 PM
TriHart (59)
(Riley R) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Shit, I thought that movie kicked ASS!!! Much better than the Tom Jane and Mystique one!!

Unfortunately I don't have this has me though, so no competing this week for me. Next bgame I have in the contest is crazy creatures!! Look forward to playing then!!

DC CIB:                67/254
SMS CIB:               6/114
This is fun!

Edited: 10/08/2014 at 09:06 PM by TriHart

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:39:36 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: TriHart

Unfortunately I don't have this has me though, so no competing this week for me. Next bgame I have in the contest is crazy creatures!! Look forward to playing then!!

I have nothing planned so far this weekend aside from watching hockey, so if you want you're more than welcome to swing by and play a couple rounds.  You still need to pick up your water bottle anyway

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:09:45 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Bimmy, methinks we doth needeth a poem. Eth.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:17:10 AM
TriHart (59)
(Riley R) < El Ripper >
Alberta

I have nothing planned so far this weekend aside from watching hockey, so if you want you're more than welcome to swing by and play a couple rounds.  You still need to pick up your water bottle anyway

Thats a very enticing offer my friend! I cant gurantee anything, but ill see if I cant get myself off work a couple hours early for a little bit of an NES punisher luau!!  My wife and I are talking about leaving my current job for a better job opportunity anyhow. I dont think I'd mind missing out on a couple hours!  I still have your number, You may receive a call!

DC CIB:                67/254
SMS CIB:               6/114
This is fun!

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:42:10 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
This is the first time I've played this game since renting it when I was 9 or so. I only got 161,600 this play through, I'll have to keep working on it before officially submitting anything.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:56:46 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Thats a very enticing offer my friend! I cant gurantee anything, but ill see if I cant get myself off work a couple hours early for a little bit of an NES punisher luau!!  My wife and I are talking about leaving my current job for a better job opportunity anyhow. I dont think I'd mind missing out on a couple hours!  I still have your number, You may receive a call!

Sounds good.  I'm usually not home before 6ish though.  I'll PM you my work email, you can get in touch with me through the day on that

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:47:54 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Score updated... Made it to the Kingpin and got my ass handed to me. Hopefully I can give it a few more tries this weekend.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:45:04 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Congrats dude! Kingpin is tough, but if you can get to him after acing the level prior to get the Supergun, your first life will take him roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down. Then it's just a matter of tossing as many grenades as possible and trying to die as little as you can. I usually burn 5 or 6 lives, sometimes more (I've gotten too good at the rest of the game, I usually end up entering the fight with around 20ish lives, only die a couple times on the way). For the first time, if you get to him with under 10 lives, you're probably not going to get far, and even that may be a stretch. 2-3 shots from him will wipe you out, as will the same number of punches.

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:45:50 AM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I also got my ass handed to me by Kingpin. Only had 4 lives but managed to get him down to 1/3 of his life. Seems like his double hammer fist is unavoidable. I'll probably trudge through this game one more time, but man is it a real bore. Don't know about you guys, but this game feels like a real chore to play since it's so drawn out. Not nearly as fun as other contemporaries like Dynamite Duke, Blood Bros. or NAM-1975.

Edited: 10/11/2014 at 09:46 AM by Balloon_Kid