Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gamevaluenow's Collection Tracker is ready for Beta testing! GVN is alive!!!!!

May 27, 2017 at 8:25:15 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Abelardo

I tried it yesterday and it's really impressive, thanks Hogie!

Have some observations:

Manually adding a game is really fast and intuitive, couple of clicks I think and you're done, but I added a few by mistake and to remove them I had to go to the collection click on the item, click edit, and hit the delete button, then hit the confirmation, I wish the manual add functionality was instead a manual add/remove.

The import collection from xls/csv/etc functionality, tried exporting my NES collection from NA and import in GVN but had a couple of problems:
-My collection is cart only so the export didn't contain the instructions quantity nor the box quantity and the import was expecting them (it auto filled all the fields since I selected NA import), had to empty those fields so the importer would work.
-The importer failed to recognize about maybe 10% of the games in the case of NES and performed worse with my Neo Geo MVS collection (I have the Japanese title in parenthesis besides the English title, so I ran a regexp replace to help it a bit, replaced \(.*\) for empty string). At the end is nice you can download a .csv to see which titles failed, but I wish there was some fuzzy string matching because most titles were failing because small details like having "The" at the beginning or a non-alphabetical character like ":" or ",", it would be awesome there was a screen that showed all the titles that failed along with fuzzy search results so the user can confirm the matches.
Thanks for the feedback Abelardo! A delete button on the "Add Games" page after you add a game is going to be added along with a delete button on the collection page.

There definitely should be some fuzzy string matching taking place but if you had problems with it then that means I need to make a few adjustments so that things like you mentioned do not get tripped up. 

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by: rlh

@Hogie, your last comment regarding my suggestions was spot on.

A million thanks for keeping us proto-collectors in your considerations. I can wait and I certainly have no complaints.

Your service is awesome and well appreciated. Thank you, thank you!

Thanks man!  

Edited: 05/27/2017 at 08:26 PM by Hogie1418

May 27, 2017 at 8:29:17 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
While you're here, I just happened to look at your N64 list and you spelled Jet Force Gemini (grey) wrong. You have it Gemeni  

-------------------------
Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 27, 2017 at 8:39:25 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

While you're here, I just happened to look at your N64 list and you spelled Jet Force Gemini (grey) wrong. You have it Gemeni  

D'oh! Thanks man! Just fixed it.   

May 28, 2017 at 8:54:07 AM
Mr. CIB (67)
< El Ripper >
Florida
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

Originally posted by: pegboy

Hey Hogie,

Great tool, I just setup an account and it's really awesome!

One thing, I was wondering why some of the values looked really low on the Turbografx 16 / CD stuff and it looks like the tracker uses the CIC (Complete in case) values when you click cart + instruction + box. Should probably change that to use the CIB values instead of CIC. Makes quite a big difference value wise for the TG-16 stuff especially.

Also for Neo-Geo AES is there any plan to add the Japanese games to the list?  Especially the Japanese only exlusives like Sonic Wings 3, Shock Troopers 2, Blazing Star, Pulstar, etc?

Thanks Pegboy, it is pulling in the CIC price where it should be the CIB. I'll get that switched up. 

I would have no problem tracking Japanese games. Just simply haven't found the time to gather a list of them at this point. Starting with exclusives would probably be best though. The best way to get these added is to use the "Add a Game Manually" feature. While getting the game info added you would then want to click the switch for "Suggest Gamevaluenow Track This Game". This will streamline the process for getting games added to GVN so that its value can begin to be tracked.

I have added a couple Japanese Exclusive to GVN but here it the complete list of 27 games

Ashita no Joe Densetsu (Legend of Success Joe)
Bakatono-sama Mahjong  Manyuki
Blazing Star
Breakers
Chibi Maruko-chan Deluxe Quiz
Double Dragon
Fu'un Super Tag Battle (Kizuna Encounter)
King of Fighters 2000 **There is a English release not recognized by some**
Magical Drop II
Magical Drop III
Mahjong Kyoretsuden
Minnasa No Okagesama Desu
Neo Geo Cup '98: The Road to the Victory
Overtop
Pulstar
Quiz Daisousa Sen: The Last Count Down
Quiz King of Fighters
Quiz Meitantei Neo & Geo: Quiz Daisousa Sen Part 2
Shinoken (Ragnagard)
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Shogi no Tatsujin (Master of Syougi)
Sonic Wings 3
Stakes Winner 2
Tengai Makyo Shinden
Twinkle Star Sprites
Ultimate 11
Waku Waku 7

May 28, 2017 at 12:18:19 PM
Mr. CIB (67)
< El Ripper >
Florida

Originally posted by: pegboy

Thanks Pegboy, it is pulling in the CIC price where it should be the CIB. I'll get that switched up. 

Some TurboGrafx CD games do not come with a box. For those you probably should have the CIC and CIB price duplicate for both columns. 

TG16 Hu Cards no box
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones

TG CD's no box
Beyond Shadowgate
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure CD
Buster Bros
Camp California
Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Dungeon Explorer II
Dungeon Master
Dynastic Hero
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (came with a sleeve)
Forgotten Worlds
Gate of Thunder 3 in 1
Godzilla
John Madden Duo CD Football
Loom
Lords of Thunder
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra
Prince of Persia
Riot Zone
Shadow of the Beast
Shape Shifter
SimEarth
Splash Lake
Super Air Zonk
Syd Mead's Terraforming
Vasteel (came with a sleeve)

Edited: 05/28/2017 at 12:18 PM by Mr. CIB

May 28, 2017 at 12:56:30 PM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil
I'm really liking the tracker.
But of 1852 games, the tracker only imported 1122 games.
With time I think it's going to get better at recognizing game titles.
It would be nice if there was a feature that would take the name of the game that didn't get imported and suggest a game.

May 28, 2017 at 4:05:39 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Galdius

It would be nice if there was a feature that would take the name of the game that didn't get imported and suggest a game.

I''m going to have to +1 one this. I hesitated to mention this but, yeah, I saw that with my Game Boy library.  I think it missed about 24 or so, so I removed the list and over a few days I manually entered them.

The import feature is nice, but even if it misses, say, 5 out of 1,000, that last 5 would take quite a search to find.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

May 29, 2017 at 1:49:56 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California

You got it. We are working on adding better detection for game titles. I plan to dive into it pretty heavily on Tuesday and see where we are lacking. I have had a number of users who were gracious enough to send me their spreadsheets and I plan to put them to good use in testing the feature. If you do not mind me asking, was there a specific console that it seemed to struggle with the most? 

I''m going to have to +1 one this. I hesitated to mention this but, yeah, I saw that with my Game Boy library.  I think it missed about 24 or so, so I removed the list and over a few days I manually entered them.

The import feature is nice, but even if it misses, say, 5 out of 1,000, that last 5 would take quite a search to find.
Oh no... I wish you would have wrote me. At the end of the import process, we provide you with a CSV file that lists out the games that we were unable to import. Hopefully, it wasn't too painful having to add the games manually.

May 29, 2017 at 6:22:23 AM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil

You got it. We are working on adding better detection for game titles. I plan to dive into it pretty heavily on Tuesday and see where we are lacking. I have had a number of users who were gracious enough to send me their spreadsheets and I plan to put them to good use in testing the feature. If you do not mind me asking, was there a specific console that it seemed to struggle with the most?

Not really. I also got a lot of "errors" because some games weren't released in NA, specially on Vita.
If you want I can send you my spreadsheets.

May 29, 2017 at 11:04:51 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

Oh no... I wish you would have wrote me. At the end of the import process, we provide you with a CSV file that lists out the games that we were unable to import. Hopefully, it wasn't too painful having to add the games manually.

Nah, it wasn't that bad.  I just scrolled through my spreadsheet on my laptop, and added them on my phone while watching TV.  Plus, my non-GB library was never added to any list online or in a spreadsheet, so I had to manually search and find half of what I own.  Kuddos for making it quick and easy and I REALLY appreciated the ability to default entry options.  Some of my collections (like for the PS1) are CIB, where others are just carts.  When I switched to my PS1 collection, it was nice having the option to default to CIB and then revert back to just C when I moved on.

I'm reallying enjoying the service.  I'm not going to ask for one more thing, but I will ask if there is another feature coming soon-- sub lists that can be shared so you can make "For Sale" and "For Trade" lists.  At a minimum, will you provide a means for allowing a "Share My Collection" link?  Again, I'm not asking for this, but curious if it's on your TODO list.

Last, what I hope is a positive question.  Do you have any plans to monetize this service?  It seems so far it's a labor of love.  I really like it, so I hope you have a way of making enough income to be worth your while to continue to improve this service.  Is Patreon under consideration?

Edited: 05/29/2017 at 11:06 AM by rlh

May 29, 2017 at 2:02:47 PM
SoDangeresque (15)
(Drew Linkon) < Little Mac >
Missouri
Any chance of adding a log out button or link? A friend put up his collection for me to see, and I had to delete cookies to get out of his so I could get back to mine.

That brings me to my side request... either an export feature or a display feature. I'd love to be able to send friends a link that displayed my collection... doesn't have to show values, just the games themselves.

It's a great site though. Kudos to any and all involved in it.

May 30, 2017 at 1:27:19 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California

Not really. I also got a lot of "errors" because some games weren't released in NA, specially on Vita.
If you want I can send you my spreadsheets.

That would help out a ton man! I'll shoot you a PM with my information.

Nah, it wasn't that bad.  I just scrolled through my spreadsheet on my laptop, and added them on my phone while watching TV.  Plus, my non-GB library was never added to any list online or in a spreadsheet, so I had to manually search and find half of what I own.  Kuddos for making it quick and easy and I REALLY appreciated the ability to default entry options.  Some of my collections (like for the PS1) are CIB, where others are just carts.  When I switched to my PS1 collection, it was nice having the option to default to CIB and then revert back to just C when I moved on.

I'm reallying enjoying the service.  I'm not going to ask for one more thing, but I will ask if there is another feature coming soon-- sub lists that can be shared so you can make "For Sale" and "For Trade" lists.  At a minimum, will you provide a means for allowing a "Share My Collection" link?  Again, I'm not asking for this, but curious if it's on your TODO list.

Last, what I hope is a positive question.  Do you have any plans to monetize this service?  It seems so far it's a labor of love.  I really like it, so I hope you have a way of making enough income to be worth your while to continue to improve this service.  Is Patreon under consideration?
Sub-collections are most certainly on the list. In fact, they are right at the top.

Monetizing the site is currently in the works. Patreon is definitely one of the options I am exploring. Honestly, when I first created GVN, I simply wanted a way to combine two things I enjoy, programming and video game collecting. It has been alot of work, but I can honestly say that I have really enjoyed the development process. Obviously, the more income the site brings in, the more time I would have to spend working on it. So far the support I have received has been absolutely amazing. I have a ton of plans for the collection tool and I have every intention to complete them all :-).

Originally posted by: SoDangeresque

Any chance of adding a log out button or link? A friend put up his collection for me to see, and I had to delete cookies to get out of his so I could get back to mine.

That brings me to my side request... either an export feature or a display feature. I'd love to be able to send friends a link that displayed my collection... doesn't have to show values, just the games themselves.

It's a great site though. Kudos to any and all involved in it.

A logout button most certainly should be on the site. Total oversight on my part. I will get that added into the next update which should be coming out tomorrow. 

Both an export feature and a Personal Page to display your collection/want/for-sale lists will be added to the site. The way I see it, the page will be customizable to the user. Values and other features will be optional and the Personal Page will even have the option of being Public or Private with private having the ability to give access to others based on some criteria (Still working on this).

Thanks for the feedback guys!

May 30, 2017 at 7:45:23 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Cool! Alright, this post will not include a single feature request. Ha ha,  

But, I'm curious. What is this site written in? I'm a Senior Software Engineer by trade. If you are new-ish to development and would like some pointers, tips or help with anything that you can't simply figure out, then PM me. I'd offer to help writing certain, simpler portions of the site, or even minor back-end processes but... my work and family do keep me rather busy.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:11:52 AM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
First off, great site! I added most of my games, however I could not find Alien Chaos 3D for the 3DS in the database. If you could add that one that would be great. Keep up the good work  

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:14:54 PM
cma2032 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia

Not OP but I noticed it was the worst with NES. I noticed if you don't put a space after the game name, it seems to find them more readily. It also doesn't seem to do a suggested search, so you have to spell the name exactly right. 

Overall I think this is awesome, and I've put the majority of my collection in here, except for non-NA stuff. Is there any plan to include Japanese or even PAL stuff at some point, or is there no infrastructure set up for that?

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:02:41 AM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Great so far to keep track of my games. Any chance of it working with home brews at some point? 8bit Xmas etc?

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:25:51 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: zeldaboy

First off, great site! I added most of my games, however I could not find Alien Chaos 3D for the 3DS in the database. If you could add that one that would be great. Keep up the good work  

Thanks man! I just added Alien Chaos 3D to GVN. It should now be available in the tracker but its value will not populate until tomorrow morning.

Originally posted by: cma2032

Not OP but I noticed it was the worst with NES. I noticed if you don't put a space after the game name, it seems to find them more readily. It also doesn't seem to do a suggested search, so you have to spell the name exactly right. 

Overall I think this is awesome, and I've put the majority of my collection in here, except for non-NA stuff. Is there any plan to include Japanese or even PAL stuff at some point, or is there no infrastructure set up for that?

Japanese and PAL stuff most certainly is an avenue we would like to pursue. The struggle would be the time and effort that it would take to maintain the prices.  Right now the main focus is the collection tracker for NTSC games. Once that gets fully rolling, we will sit down and see what features will be most beneficial to our users and go from there. I can tell you that I have received quite a few requests for import games. :-)

Originally posted by: ALTQQ

Great so far to keep track of my games. Any chance of it working with home brews at some point? 8bit Xmas etc?

Currently, your best bet for getting these games in the collection tracker is to use the "Add Game Manually" feature. I personally am not up to date on the homebrew scene, but I could definitely see adding some of the more desirable games to the site. 

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:21:46 AM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
For the Jaguar i cant see a picture for nba jam. for supercross 3d the picture shows wolfenstein.

Ill be adding more since jaguar is the first system i entered

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:34:38 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: LifeGame

For the Jaguar i cant see a picture for nba jam. for supercross 3d the picture shows wolfenstein.

Ill be adding more since jaguar is the first system i entered

Just fixed them :-). Thanks for the heads up and be sure to let me know if you see any others that seem off.

Jun 3, 2017 at 7:34:40 AM
Galdius (13)
< Meka Chicken >
Brazil

Japanese and PAL stuff most certainly is an avenue we would like to pursue. The struggle would be the time and effort that it would take to maintain the prices.  Right now the main focus is the collection tracker for NTSC games. Once that gets fully rolling, we will sit down and see what features will be most beneficial to our users and go from there. I can tell you that I have received quite a few requests for import games. :-)

I would love if JP games were added. I have a few of them on some consoles and I think having them on the site is specially important for Neo Geo AES games since there is a huge difference in prices dependind on the region.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:12:18 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Bit trip saga, Jewel cradle 2 , mega man legacy regular and the collectors edition, new super mario bros 2, poochy and yoshi (both games), professor layton phoenix on 3ds show no pictures for me

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:42:10 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Nintendo Ds no picture : avatar the game, big time rush, c.o.p. , c.o.r.e. , camp rock, chuck cheese (all 3 games), code lyoko fall, death junior, dr seuss, emily the strange, fashion week, g.i. Joe, imagine animal, l.o.l., last airbender, continued in next post

Also etrian odyssey has etrian odyssey 2 for the picture

Gamecube : tales symphonia players choice

3ds : persona q premium,

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

Edited: 06/03/2017 at 01:08 PM by LifeGame

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:07:23 PM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Ds games with no picture : mario vs donkey (both games), mr. driller, mx untamed, mystery p.i., new super mario bros, penguins of madasgascar returns, plants vs zombies, ringling bros, snk vs capcom, spongebob robotic revenge, syberia, t.a.c. heroes, texas hold em poker pack, theresia, thinksmart chess, tropix, warioware d.i.y., done for ds

Having so much fun adding my collection and helping out at the same time

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:08:54 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Ds games with no picture : mario vs donkey (both games), mr. driller, mx untamed, mystery p.i., new super mario bros, penguins of madasgascar returns, plants vs zombies, ringling bros, snk vs capcom, spongebob robotic revenge, syberia, t.a.c. heroes, texas hold em poker pack, theresia, thinksmart chess, tropix, warioware d.i.y., done for ds

Helping out is always appreciated.  

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:08:03 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California

Thanks for the list. I just fixed around 90% just now :-).

I actually found an issue with my thumbnails and it has to do with game titles that have a period in them. If you happen to see any that have a period and are missing an image, I will be going through and fixing them.