http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

does any one have the proto of this?

-------------------------
Famicom Mini:  3 / 30

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:11:17 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
I'd really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really doubt it.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:12:00 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I can't remember who owns it, but essentially it was Super Mario World's early development. They knew it'd be going to the SNES, but they didn't have the hardware to work with at the time. Can't remember specifics of it, kinda curious about it now.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:15:54 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Isn't there some sort of Pirate Hack SMB4 also?

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:49:59 AM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I can't remember who owns it, but essentially it was Super Mario World's early development.

Pics or GTFO.  Seriously though, this would be news to me, I am doubtful there is one out there at all.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:39:36 PM
nensondubois (18)
(One Two) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
The NES was in fact capable of pulling off Mario riding Yoshi (see the Super Mario World Pirate). Nintendo decided to move it to the SNES because the pressure from the emerging Sega Genesis made it a worth asset for Nintendo to make an impressive advancement to the next generation hardware to keep their foot tighter in the gaming door.

Looking for Gamecube Interactive Demos, Tiertex developed Super Game Boy game prototypes, official Nintendo developed SGB SDK demos, SNES Tetris & Dr. Mario, Super Mario Kart prototypes with known differences. Interested in other protos, NES Retrovision, CIB GB PokoNyan. I may trade my minty CIB Gimmick!, or other rare and valuable games / items.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:36:02 PM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
How is Master Higgins riding a skateboard any different to Mario riding a Yoshi.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:49:45 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
My guess is the pirate was the only program anything close to SMW worked on to the NES. Adding yoshi would limit the game too much from pallet aspects and sprites per scanline. But I may be wrong.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:55:48 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: nensondubois

The NES was in fact capable of pulling off Mario riding Yoshi (see the Super Mario World Pirate). Nintendo decided to move it to the SNES because the pressure from the emerging Sega Genesis made it a worth asset for Nintendo to make an impressive advancement to the next generation hardware to keep their foot tighter in the gaming door.

fact or bullcrap?  sources?

you can assume all you want but in the end it is just that... assuming.

eBay listings here

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:03:11 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Programming wize I don't see how the riding would be that hard. As someone pointed out the Higgins/Skateboard, it becomes one piece as soon as you hop on.

Is there a SMW pirate floating around out there. I may go looking for it.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:22:56 AM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
My reason why I think this would be dumped early in development:

Look at the game Mario Is Missing. You know why it's called that? Because Mario isn't green. Luigi and Yoshi share the same pallet colors to keep the game realistic, because Mario on a Yoshi would take up too many resources in the palette. I know that Luigi on Yoshi in Mario is Missing still has 4  colors, but yet using the two pallets and using characters with the nearly same color scheme made this game possible. This allows for pretty much 4 full pallets being used in the game for 4 characters. First 2 for the Luigi/Yoshi colors instead of the first 3 for Mario/Yoshi colors like what would need to be used if the game was programmed if it was Luigi is Missing! It's just too much for the NES.

Yes, they probably experimented, but I will be surprised if anything close to even a full world in a prototype was done. I bet a tech demo exists, but I'd give little hope for anything even close to a few levels. They'd realize they were wasting their time by then.

Edited: 02/27/2011 at 02:02 AM by removed04092017

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:43:04 AM
nensondubois (18)
(One Two) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: qixmaster

Originally posted by: nensondubois

fact or bullcrap?  sources?

you can assume all you want but in the end it is just that... assuming.

You can't be serious... http://www.youtube.com/results?se... Mario rides Yoshi in at least one of the pirate videos.

Looking for Gamecube Interactive Demos, Tiertex developed Super Game Boy game prototypes, official Nintendo developed SGB SDK demos, SNES Tetris & Dr. Mario, Super Mario Kart prototypes with known differences. Interested in other protos, NES Retrovision, CIB GB PokoNyan. I may trade my minty CIB Gimmick!, or other rare and valuable games / items.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:22:30 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
No, I'm referring to your assumption about the Nintendo and Sega thing... of course Nintendo knew they needed to get the SNES out... but Sega wasn't the driving force for them to put Super Mario World on the SNES. If that is the case, then it also must have meant that Sega was the driving force that put Sim City on the SNES and not the NES. I'm sorry your posts and philosophies on gaming are a little odd at times... Please have some facts to back it up. Posts like yours will and can influence as fact, which is something we don't want when preserving the history of video games.

Also, the whole Mario riding Yoshi in a famicom pirate of Super Mario World has nothing to do with a NES prototype of Super Mario 4. Of course Nintendo knew what they could and couldn't do with their hardware WELL before any such pirate was created.

eBay listings here

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:32:46 AM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: qixmaster

No, I'm referring to your assumption about the Nintendo and Sega thing... of course Nintendo knew they needed to get the SNES out... but Sega wasn't the driving force for them to put Super Mario World on the SNES. If that is the case, then it also must have meant that Sega was the driving force that put Sim City on the SNES and not the NES. I'm sorry your posts and philosophies on gaming are a little odd at times... Please have some facts to back it up. Posts like yours will and can influence as fact, which is something we don't want when preserving the history of video games.

Also, the whole Mario riding Yoshi in a famicom pirate of Super Mario World has nothing to do with a NES prototype of Super Mario 4. Of course Nintendo knew what they could and couldn't do with their hardware WELL before any such pirate was created.

Quoted for truth.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:09:08 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
^ That.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:33:59 PM
Bournano (9)
(Captain Bournano) < El Ripper >
Illinois
I'll buy it at a high price! $$$

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:32:39 PM
spacedragon (4)

< Crack Trooper >
France
---

Edited: 06/28/2017 at 12:00 PM by spacedragon

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:50:14 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
The "palette tricks" would be to just waste two whole sprite pallets for them. Haha! And make things flicker like crap. Oh well. And I believe this is what most people think was the early "prototype." (A semi-half-decent pirate, despite only looking better but playing like all other crap pirates.)

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:24:10 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: ML

Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I can't remember who owns it, but essentially it was Super Mario World's early development. They knew it'd be going to the SNES, but they didn't have the hardware to work with at the time. Can't remember specifics of it, kinda curious about it now.

*Facepalm*

This is just a hack of Armadillo with the main character being replaced with Mario and an hacked title screen. Nothing else. It is the most common Mario pirate.

SMW developpement started on SFC. Many people think the prototype picture that appeared on the internet was from 8bits but it's not.

---
That Super Mario World pirate has nothing to do with that game. And it wasn't released on a NES cart.

EDIT: about Yoshi, Miyamoto said that they couldn't make Mario goes on Yoshi on the NES hardware so they started a whole new game for the SFC. Pirate did show the reverse but they used some palette tricks and other things that Nintendo R&D possibly didn't have in 1989.

That seems to be a different pirate than what the other dude posted or am I wrong?

Also if it is so common, why can't I find it anywere?  I do have other Pirate carts though

I do agree there is no evidence so far to suggest there was a prototype.  But still I like these pirates.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:24:30 PM
spacedragon (4)

< Crack Trooper >
France
---

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:05:11 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Wow, if you run accross any more for sale, let me know!

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:01:11 AM
spacedragon (4)

< Crack Trooper >
France
---