Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every Game Boy game in a year? - 2019 USA: 190/497: 38.23% -- PAL: 14/69: 20.29%

Feb 02 at 12:41:23 AM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Tail Gator is done:

Never played this one before. It's OK but fairly shallow, and it's one of those "easy but sometimes annoying" games.

Feb 03 at 6:13:44 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Beat Fall of the Foot Clan. Very easy and short game. It's still fun though. It plays very stiff compared to the sequel.
I picked these up this past week at local game stores. I'll be having fun playing through these!

Feb 03 at 6:52:58 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Ok now Game & Watch gallery is done. I didn't get the credits because I had already done it on this cart. But I did get 1000 just now on 4 different game types.

Feb 04 at 12:45:11 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
wow. This game is a complete mess. The controls are so slow. I don't understand why sometimes bullets will act as an instant kill even though I have health. This game is so hard. I continued so many times. (Thankfully they are unlimited). Hooray for blind jumps into death. This game could have been good and oddly I got some enjoyment out of it. The ED 209 battles were fun and controlled well. Robocop 2 done 

Edited: 02/04/2019 at 12:46 AM by acromite53

Feb 04 at 11:46:54 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Star Wars done. Start of the game probably the hardest part. Overall just bad level design with a ton of blind jumps. Still, glad to tick it off the list. 

Feb 05 at 4:40:38 AM
yojc (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
I've been playing around with the Super Game Boy 2 a bit, and this January I've already beaten:

Mega Man V:
twitch.tv/videos/362087320

DuckTales:
twitch.tv/videos/366257085

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge:
twitch.tv/videos/368646282

Hopefully there's more to come this year.  

Edited: 02/06/2019 at 03:26 AM by yojc

Feb 05 at 12:40:16 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Welcome! I don't see any pictures but I've recorded those completions.

Feb 05 at 12:57:26 PM
yojc (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Those were twitch.tv embeds, but they don't seem to work for whatever reason. Changed to links instead, thanks for the heads up  

Feb 05 at 7:53:04 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
A lot of great progress being made from everyone! I'm going to get back into the swing of things tonight. My set up is in my basement and it's just been too cold in Chicago the past couple weeks to be down there. Donkey Kong '94 should be done by the end of the week.

I also got my Super Game Boy 2, so I modded my SNES and did a little testing on the games that gave me trouble. It turns out that my controller was not the problem, nor the SGB1, I just suck at button mashing.
However, I took the time to try out Missile Command last night on the SGB2 with both the stand-alone (SA) and the arcade classics 2-pack (AC2 for short). I still suck at the stand-alone and in my test run I didn't crack 90,000, so the speed increase from the SGB1 wasn't the issue.

I tried the AC2 and had absolutely no problem getting 150,000 with basically a full city on my first try. It would be great to see if anyone else experiences this, but the hit boxes felt much more generous in the AC2 version. The UFOs especially were less trouble. In the SA you have to position the missile just underneath at just the right time or else they'll bounce and get through. AC2, I could fire in the area and they would be okay. In general I think the AC2's explosion clouds last longer and have a bigger reach.

Maybe it's luck, and take these test runs with a grain of salt since it's just me playing one game on each cart, but the coding does seem to be slightly different and more forgiving in the AC2 edition. At least for now, I feel like last year's frustration with that game was justified.

-------------------------
Collecting every US Original Gameboy game - Currently 237/510
Collecting every non-kids Philips CDi game - Currently 42/126

Catch me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/floatingpla...

Feb 05 at 10:05:31 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
It's not on the main list, but I beat the Japanese-exclusive Volleyfire:

It's pretty much as if someone took the one-on-one combat scenes from Atomic Robo-kid -- or even Outlaw on the Atari 2600 -- and made an entire game from them. It's not very good at all.

Feb 06 at 12:22:36 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Floating Platforms

A lot of great progress being made from everyone! I'm going to get back into the swing of things tonight. My set up is in my basement and it's just been too cold in Chicago the past couple weeks to be down there. Donkey Kong '94 should be done by the end of the week.

I also got my Super Game Boy 2, so I modded my SNES and did a little testing on the games that gave me trouble. It turns out that my controller was not the problem, nor the SGB1, I just suck at button mashing.
However, I took the time to try out Missile Command last night on the SGB2 with both the stand-alone (SA) and the arcade classics 2-pack (AC2 for short). I still suck at the stand-alone and in my test run I didn't crack 90,000, so the speed increase from the SGB1 wasn't the issue.

I tried the AC2 and had absolutely no problem getting 150,000 with basically a full city on my first try. It would be great to see if anyone else experiences this, but the hit boxes felt much more generous in the AC2 version. The UFOs especially were less trouble. In the SA you have to position the missile just underneath at just the right time or else they'll bounce and get through. AC2, I could fire in the area and they would be okay. In general I think the AC2's explosion clouds last longer and have a bigger reach.

Maybe it's luck, and take these test runs with a grain of salt since it's just me playing one game on each cart, but the coding does seem to be slightly different and more forgiving in the AC2 edition. At least for now, I feel like last year's frustration with that game was justified.

I'll check them out and see if I notice a difference... I think I already said that a couple weeks ago, but I still haven't done it. Do you think they should be listed separately if they don't turn out to be identical?

Originally posted by: bronzeshield

It's not on the main list, but I beat the Japanese-exclusive Volleyfire:

It's pretty much as if someone took the one-on-one combat scenes from Atomic Robo-kid -- or even Outlaw on the Atari 2600 -- and made an entire game from them. It's not very good at all.

Great! I've added in the JPN games completed table from last year. Each JPN game will be worth 2.5 points across the board. I've got a few that I want to beat for that table as well.

Feb 06 at 9:18:53 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Splain

I'll check them out and see if I notice a difference... I think I already said that a couple weeks ago, but I still haven't done it. Do you think they should be listed separately if they don't turn out to be identical?
That's a tough one.  I would say probably, yes, but the problem is the requirements.  The stand alone has the high score of 750,000 which would be impossible (in my opinion).  Looking into things a bit more, I think that the cities do eventually cycle and so maybe it should be to go from Cairo through everything until you get back to Cairo.  Even that might be near impossible on that cart.  Then again, it could all come down to me being a terrible player and I'd hate for my ineptitude to sway things.

I don't recall the rules on posting links, but if you search YT for Beating Game Boy Games #38 Asteroids and Missile Command - someone cycled the cities in about 30 minutes with a score of under 250,000 on the 2-pack version (his first try).  A lot of luck and practice, it could be done on the stand alone cart.

Feb 07 at 12:41:58 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Has anyone else tried beating that 35,000 Asteroids score? I think this is close to impossible. Haha

Edit: Nope. This is straight up impossible. I could do it one 1 difficulty though

Edited: 02/07/2019 at 01:01 AM by acromite53

Feb 07 at 8:33:53 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
I haven't tried out Asteroids yet, but I saw a video of someone farming the UFOs by leaving one little asteroid fragment floating around and waiting for the UFOs to spawn for high points.  It might take a little longer, but it should be safer.  That's probably the strategy I would try if I couldn't do it naturally.

Feb 08 at 10:55:25 AM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Kirby's Dreamland 2 is complete. What a great game this one turned out to be!

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Feb 08 at 11:55:07 AM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
RING RAGE now complete! Yeesh...this one is kinda rough. Got some fun bits in it, but the later matches can be tricky. Anyone that wants someone over powered should pick Shadam. His rolling kick (forward, forward, kick) is devastating. What I do is knock my opponent down with his standard kick (it's fast) and while their on the ground do the 
rolling kick (repeatedly too). ALSO, in later matches, just close in for a grapple, then mash the punch button. Rolling Kick while the sad sack is on the mat for another victory! Press A and B to pin. Voila!

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Feb 08 at 12:01:15 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
The Missile Command hitboxes are definitely different between the 2 games. I sat down with both, not remembering which was supposed too be which, and the difference was obvious. So I guess the questions to answer are these:

Should they be listed as 2 separate games, or should people be allowed to choose either one? I can see merit for going either way.

Is cycling through the cities a good requirement? I think it could be, because there's no ending either way, and you could call it beaten after completing a loop.

Why do you do this to us Accolade? You should have anticipated the existence of this thread!

Feb 08 at 6:14:31 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
beat megaman 3

Feb 08 at 11:58:31 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Beat another Japanese exclusive, Zoids Densetsu (using the English-translated ROM):

I don't understand the design of this game. Why does it force you to start as a large, awkward robot with low HP and no real compensating factors? And then, if you kill off that character and the next one (who's sort of mid-level), you get to play as the third, who has the best HP and weapons and no downside. Plus you get a handful of continues (maybe 5) to let you repeat the process over and over again.

It makes no sense, unless there's some kind of hidden reward for finishing the game with the weakest character -- and I don't think this very early release is the kind of game that does that. (Nope, it's not.)

FWIW, I finished with the mid-level character, after using a few continues. The final boss fight is halfway decent, but not too hard if you point-blank his upper parts/turrets as he enters the screen.

Edited: 02/09/2019 at 12:02 AM by bronzeshield

Feb 09 at 9:52:10 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Looney Tunes is done.

Feb 10 at 7:26:23 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

done with The Smurfs. This game has a lot of design flaws

Feb 12 at 1:21:17 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Beat Asteroids. Thanks to Floating Platforms for the UFO points idea. The smaller one is worth 1000pts instead of the big ones at 200pts. By waiting around and shooting a few of them, I was able to get an extra life I needed to continue on and beat the high score. 

Edited: 02/12/2019 at 01:23 AM by acromite53

Feb 12 at 11:33:29 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nicely done!!

Here's the leaderboard for games that were beaten for the first time this year:

beatthegameboy - 4
Ferret Oxide - 2
Floating Platforms - 2
acromite53 - 2
Splain - 1

I'm slowly working on a couple others. I'm still chipping away at Krusty. A few small changes could have made that game a top 50 title.

Edited: 02/12/2019 at 11:44 PM by Splain

Feb 12 at 8:16:19 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
Glad it worked out, Acromite! When I get around to that one, it's good to have confirmation it works.

For the Missile Command question, I'd probably say they should be separate. As for which game gets which requirement, it's tough to say since the stand alone is going to be tough either way. I guess the city cycling is most fair for that version and then maybe keep the high score for the 2-pack, but I'm open to whatever other people might want.

I think I should have a couple titles on the first clear leaderboard, too (unless that's a work in progress). I think I have Caesars Palace and Desert Strike so far. I'm still only halfway done with Donkey Kong so far, but after that, I have True Lies and then some sports game which might be a first time clear and then I'll be trying to tackle Hercules if no one else does. It's only February, but I feel like I'm falling so far behind everyone!

Feb 12 at 11:57:23 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Ah you're right, I wasn't careful and yours got lumped in with Ferret's. Got it fixed. That will be integrated with the front page leaderboard sometime soon, or maybe it will just be its own chart underneath the leaderboard.

I guess we should take a look at Asteroids as well, to see if it's a different game on the standalone cart too. I'll try and get a feel for it.