Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are you reading?

Mar 11 at 5:23:56 AM
Baddieboy Holden (0)
(Amiibo Collector) < Meka Chicken >
New Zealand
Aside from the 5-15 readings I have to do for University each week, I've been trying to tackle It when I've been able to.
It's (ha) a bit overwhelming though, haven't got too far.

-------------------------
Game Collection- 1025 as of 27/01/19 

Mar 11 at 12:03:51 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia
Just finished the Stranger Things prequel book Suspicious Minds, and am about to start Roger Moore's 007 Diaries (from his work on Live and Let Die).

Mar 11 at 12:05:18 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: gunpei

The Long Mynd, by Edward Hughes

It has a pretty nice cover painting

Mar 11 at 1:13:29 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Mar 11 at 1:33:27 PM
MegaMan52 (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >

https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMan52/

Mar 11 at 8:03:43 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Necroscope - Brian Lumley

Mar 11 at 8:26:43 PM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Last was Roxana by Daniel Defoe. Currently tackling War and Peace (Tolstoy) and spending lunch most days reading study books for my insurance exams.

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Mar 13 at 7:31:25 PM
BazookaJoe (4)
(Joe ) < Meka Chicken >
Arizona
Homo Deus: A brief history of tomorrow. Yuval Noah Harari

SOLID book!

My Wants! | Add me on Switch: SW-3356-2808-2889
 ​

Mar 14 at 12:17:03 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: fcgamer

Originally posted by: TheFinder

I'm currently reading one of the Chinese classic novels (sometimes called the Four Chinese Classics): The Dream of the Red Chamber/The Story of the Stone by Cao Xueqin. I'm really enjoying it, though I can honestly say that I'm not entirely sure why.

Additionally, I'm listening to Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini, and it is fantastic. I highly recommend it!
I was reading through this thread last night, and I was shocked when I saw you post.  I wanted to respond then and there, but it was getting late and I decided to head to bed.  

The thing is, I am also reading through this same story.  I took a picture of the version I am reading.

The story is quite notorious I've heard, due to characters having similar names and what not.  Even a mainlander I know, who lives in the same city as OptOut, responded to me with an "OMG" when told him I was reading this book.  He said that it's a nightmare to read in Chinese, even to a native speaker.

I'm enjoying the read through as well, I'm about 1/3rd of the way through.  I rarely read on the weekends, but I usually have about an hour a day of free time at my job, as well as trying to read a chapter before bed every night, through the week.  

Another thing, I was really surprised by how sexual the book is, I guess maybe it's the equivalent of reading a modern romance novel?  

Anyways, glad to see someone else here reading this, I'd love to chat more with you at some point, especially if you've read some other Chinese classic literature in the past.  Seems like we could get along quite well.

I, too, am shocked someone else is reading this! It makes me really excited to have someone with whom to talk about it!

I'm reading the Penguin edition translated by David Hawkes: https://www.penguin.co.uk/series/...

It actually sometimes throws me off, since the translator is British, and I'm American, so when he uses British-isms or Scottish loanwords I have to look them up.

I heard about the book from doing some research for my teaching job. Then a series of clicks later, and I found out about the Four Chinese Classics and decided to try my way through them. This is the first of the books I've undertaken to read. I'm also about a 1/3 of the way through (I think). I'm over halfway (maybe 2/3rds) through the second volume of five. I just finished the chapter about Wang Xi-Feng's birthday and the aftermath last night.

It's definitely a sexual book. Some of it is subtle-ish, but there's some blatant stuff, too. That was also a surprise to me. And I can't imagine trying to keep everything straight in native Chinese. My edition has multiple family trees and a glossary of characters to help keep everything straight, and I have to reference it rather frequently to make sure I know who the book is talking about. If my copy didn't have that, I'd have been lost a long time ago.

We should definitely chat about the book. Feel free to PM me. I want to finish this one, then I'll probably read something else, and then I'm thinking I'll dive into either The Journey to the West or The Romance of the Three Kingdoms (I haven't gotten The Water Margin/The Marshes of Mount Liang/Outlaws of the Marsh yet, since I think I want the Dent-Young translation [I'd be happy to hear opinions on the various translations], but I haven't found a good set of them).

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Mar 14 at 12:18:45 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Lately, I've been reading the label on the air freshener in my bathroom.

I mean there wasn't anything else to read.

who knew air freshener was flammable?

other than that, I don't read...

Mar 14 at 2:03:29 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Paul

Lately, I've been reading the label on the air freshener in my bathroom.

I mean there wasn't anything else to read.

who knew air freshener was flammable?

other than that, I don't read...

Before I opened this, I saw you were the last reply and thought "He's gonna say something like the Glade can since he forgot his phone".

I was not disappointed!

Mar 14 at 7:14:29 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Glad I didn't disappoint you Dave...

Mar 14 at 9:59:18 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Closed System by Zach Hughes. Space trader adventure

Mar 14 at 10:25:17 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: BazookaJoe

Homo Deus: A brief history of tomorrow. Yuval Noah Harari

SOLID book!

That one of those books with a couple muscly pirates on the cover?

SW-6786-5095-2210

Mar 15 at 4:18:49 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Redwall by Brian Jacques. Picked it up at a Goodwill after grabbing the third of the series at a rummage sale. Now I just need to find the 2nd book.

Before that I was reading Priceless by Marne Davis Kellogg. Second book in a series about a female jewel thief. Throwaway chick lit but fun nonetheless.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Mar 15 at 8:29:02 AM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Started "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds". The book has been in continuous print since 1841! It's been very influential, I'm very much enjoying it, and it is absolutely strikingly relevant today.

Mar 15 at 8:50:45 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
My Hero Academia. >_>

Mar 15 at 8:55:50 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I am going back and truly reading the classics that we were required to read in middle/high school. Currently on the Iliad and Odyssey. Just finished up the Jules Verne books. 

Edited: 03/15/2019 at 09:00 AM by themisfit138

Mar 15 at 7:34:02 PM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: themisfit138

I am going back and truly reading the classics that we were required to read in middle/high school. Currently on the Iliad and Odyssey. Just finished up the Jules Verne books. 
Best Jules Verne novel = Michael Strogoff. Trust me

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Mar 15 at 8:27:07 PM
Stooperzero (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
original sherlock holmes series... print in this book is 1921.

My motha's on crack 

Mar 15 at 10:35:43 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

I will have to add it to the list. I had just read through Around the World, 20,000 Leagues, and Journey to the Center of the Earth. 

Mar 16 at 6:47:59 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Recently finished The Prestige, now on to Never Let Me Go.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16 at 6:49:51 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

I will have to add it to the list. I had just read through Around the World, 20,000 Leagues, and Journey to the Center of the Earth. 

Clipper in the Clouds or The Begum's Fortune gets my vote. Haven't read Strogoff yet though. Next to Diana Wynne Jones, Verne is my go to whenever I just want a story to read and enjoy.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16 at 7:03:13 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: TheFinder

I'm currently reading one of the Chinese classic novels (sometimes called the Four Chinese Classics): The Dream of the Red Chamber/The Story of the Stone by Cao Xueqin. I'm really enjoying it, though I can honestly say that I'm not entirely sure why.

Additionally, I'm listening to Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini, and it is fantastic. I highly recommend it!

I tried Journey to the West a few years ago, and then gave up on the Chinese Classics for a bit; so daunting! I need to return to them, though I failed to buy The Dream of Red Mansions back then. I've been meaning to give Sabatini a read as well.

The Goblet of Fire was my least favorite, we may be book opposites  .

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 16 at 7:15:04 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Masters of Doom by David Kushner. Story of Johns Romero and Carmack.