Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bioshock Love What's your opinion?

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:29:54 AM
Zoso471 (13)
(--Anthony --) < El Ripper >
Ontario
Just started the bioshock series on the 360 (only 3 years late!) and i just have to say how freakin amazing it is. I personally think the gameplay is only an 8.5/10 but the story, atmosphere, and characters just bring it to a 10. Anyone else look at this game as more than just a video game? Maybe its just me but 2K really developed a piece of art here. Even 3 years later when games have developed a lot visually, I still feel more entranced in rapture. Definitely has to be my favourite game all time so far. Cant wait to play 2 and 3. Interested to see what you guys think.

-------------------------

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:39:00 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Yeah, the first Bioshock is awesome. I've been trying to get my brother to play it (he just got a 360), and he's been like, "Eh, it doesn't look interesting." I'm just like, "JUST TRUST ME AND PLAY IT, DAMNIT!", haha.. He still won't play it. Oh well, it's his loss..

I started Part 2 back in July (it was on sale on Steam) but stopped playing it after about an hour into it. I've been meaning to go back to it, but it didn't grab me like the first one did.

| gameplay and talk |

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:12:13 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
The 2nd one definitely didn't grab me as much as the first one did either. I also really liked the first Bioshock. I still need to finish the 2nd one though.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:16:26 AM
blarky (37)
(b0rk b0rk) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Same boat. Played through the first bioshock and loved it. The story was a big selling point, but the gameplay wasn't bad either. I only played through a part of the second one and kinda lost interest.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:36:49 AM
wookieehooky (89)
(carlos spicy weiner) < Lolo Lord >
California
I bought the first one about 8 months ago, and still havn't gotten around to play it. I guess I really need to play through it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:14:38 AM
aaronshea80 (111)
(Aaron Shea) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I played through both of them and thought they are both great games.I do have to agree with everyone else that first one is better then the second one though.

"And men, remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green 

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:14:38 AM
aaronshea80 (111)
(Aaron Shea) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I played through both of them and thought they are both great games.I do have to agree with everyone else that first one is better then the second one though.

"And men, remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green 

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:40:03 AM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I loved both of the Bioshock games, though I have to agree that the second one was not as gripping as the first one. It's still a fantastic game though. Be sure to get the DLC campaign Minerva's Den for the second one too. In my opinion it was better than the main campaign. It's like a stand alone mini sequel of sorts.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:23:57 AM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I beat the first one almost a year ago, and just bought the 2nd one new for $13 shipped. I'll post on here when I get it and get some gameplay into it.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:47:33 AM
milligangames (407)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
I thought the 2nd one was excellent, too, just as good as the first one. It was nice to face some enemies that were actually challenging on the highest difficulty, in the first one you could just roll through everything without any strategy, in the 2nd one you actually have to plan out your defense on the big sisters and use abilities that are intended to work together.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:17:05 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: blarky

Same boat. Played through the first bioshock and loved it. The story was a big selling point, but the gameplay wasn't bad either. I only played through a part of the second one and kinda lost interest.

Put me in this group as well.  Loved the first, played through most of the second but never ended up0 finishing it.  Very cool series for sure and the first game is a must own for 360 owners.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:27:08 AM
I'm_not_a_robot... (1)
(Jon Schirmacher) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
I agree with most of you guys, both were fantastic games, but the 1st was indeed better. Probably one of the best series out there for the current systems.

"Puttin' Crash Man in the trash can, like yesterdays tomatoes."

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:01:35 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
argg see I'm in a completely different boat. I've played/beaten BS2 but I haven't played 1. :\

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:09:08 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Eh don't feel bad, I'm a 360 owner as well and have never played any of them. I dunno, I heard good first hand stories about it, but I checked out the reviews / gameplay and it didn't grab me. Then again I've missed the entire Mass Effect series as well, and those are highly recommended.

I'll keep this in mind though, I'll add it to the never ending backlog of games I'd like to play at some point in time.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:15:05 PM
Skullz (76)
(Brian .) < Kraid Killer >
Iowa
I've played both 1 & 2 right when they first came out. It was one of the few newer games that I looked forward to playing.

Great series, can't wait for the 3rd.

My Buy/Sell/Trade Post:

My Ebay Stuff:

http://shop.ebay.com/brian111887/...

Willing to cut deals on Ebay stuff for people here, also looking for trades!

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:48:46 PM
MasonSushi (83)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
I think that Bioshiock 1 is the best game on the 360.

Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:56:36 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
I loved the first game and liked the second. Beat both of them but the sequel felt like more of an expansion than a sequel. Cant wait for the third to come out, it looks amazing.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:03:37 PM
Gameboyjay (71)
(J B) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I absolutlely love the Bioshock games. My favorite games for the PS3/360. I can't wait for Bioshock: Infinite, but the release date seems so far away.....lol

WTB link - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:09:54 PM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
I nearly beat the first one on PC back when it came out. Got to the very end. Never played any of the second one, but have considered it.

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:03:04 PM
chupaskabra (88)
(Antonio Valdez) < El Ripper >
Texas
such a good series, i just got my 360 back so im gonna be trying to beat the second one before MVC3 comes out because i will have no time after that.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:22:12 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Personally to your love, is my hate. I played about 80% of the first one and got fed up with it and sold it. My big beef wasn't the story or atmosphere as it was awesome in that respect, it was the game play, it's just not that fun to me and quite aggravating at points. I didn't care for what appeared to be a large amount of unnecessary hits you take since it's wanting to force you to constantly use EVE to slow down enemies and stuff so they can't chop you to pieces as you take a swing at them. I've never been much of a fan of forced secondary mechanics, and lesser so of cheap unavoidable hits.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:45:18 PM
Zoso471 (13)
(--Anthony --) < El Ripper >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Personally to your love, is my hate. I played about 80% of the first one and got fed up with it and sold it. My big beef wasn't the story or atmosphere as it was awesome in that respect, it was the game play, it's just not that fun to me and quite aggravating at points. I didn't care for what appeared to be a large amount of unnecessary hits you take since it's wanting to force you to constantly use EVE to slow down enemies and stuff so they can't chop you to pieces as you take a swing at them. I've never been much of a fan of forced secondary mechanics, and lesser so of cheap unavoidable hits.

i do have to agree. i kind of liked it at the beginning but it gets quite repetitive having to use eve than attack, eve than attack, eve than attack, etc.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:44:05 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Yeah it got old fast, and of course you're always needing to rush around/back buy more, hack stuff to afford more of it. If you try doing it just as a shooter, you're going to get your ass handed to you heavily because it won't let you attack fast enough to keep pace which is sad. I'd pay to see Bioshock as a movie, or read it in book format, but I can't stand the gameplay at all.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:11:28 PM
CrashMan (21)
(Jeff T) < Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
I love the series, by far my fav series... ever!! The first one is fantastic, the second one isn't quite as good, but only by a little... the first one I give a 10/10, second a 9.5/10

3DS friend code:  2423-2144-9184

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:56:02 AM
theTak (18)
(The Tak) < Crack Trooper >
South Carolina
I liked the first part of the game, which felt a little more exploration based. It kinda felt more like a typical tunnel shooter towards the end, which wasn't fun at all.

It wasn't a 'spiritual successor' to System Shock 2, it was an average-at-best clone. The plot twist (which is straight from SS2), the bio-mods (better handled in SS2 with implants and cyber mods) and the supposed 'freedom of choice' (you can actually play a no-combat character in SS2) were all done better in SS2.

Bioshock was close, so very very close to being good. But they put up too many guide rails and were too scared to let you make real gameplay-changing choices. It was the gaming equivalent of blue balls.

Now playing:
  NES: ---
SNES: Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past
   N64: ---
  NGC: Chibi Robo, Pikmin 2
     Wii: ---
     PC: xcom2

Edited: 01/17/2011 at 10:56 AM by theTak