Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Alien Syndrome Contest ends Sunday, 10/6/13 at 10 PM NA time

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:33:55 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests!  This week's game is going to be an unlicensed one and a good one at that.  It's time for some Alien Syndrome.  Here are the rules:
  • 1 player only
  • Play until Life 0.  As soon as you get to Life 0, you must stop playing the game and take your picture.  You may not play any of the game on Life 0 or your score will be disqualified.
  • Get as far in the game as possible
  • Lowest score takes precedence
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 10/6/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 12:00 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:38:03 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
dang, one of my favorites of all time. I don't even have my NES hooked up right now because I'm still unpacking from a move though :-\.

Let's Go Penguins!

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:56:13 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Shit, I don't own this one...haven't said that for a while. I should have prepared better, maybe I can find a local copy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:43:58 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Krunch

Shit, I don't own this one...haven't said that for a while. I should have prepared better, maybe I can find a local copy.

yeah...i was an idiot and for like the first 4 weeks or so this time around, i didnt realize there was a master list, so every week it was a "surprise" to me what we were playing, so i would scramble around on monday or tuesday and try to get copies of the games i didnt own

then i realized there was list

i felt dumb

i think i have them all now except for "batman returns"...which i will track down prior to the week of that one

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:34:55 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I made a change to the rules for this week since it is possible to farm endlessly for points if you know the trick. The contest will now be a furthest progression and lowest score challenge.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:37:09 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Bumping this since it hasn't been stickied yet.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:55:36 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
So close to getting into Round 3! Oh well, I definitely know I can do better. It's actually refreshing to go for the lowest score possible for a change. Although its really weird NOT to shoot things and just dodge all the time ha ha ha. I guess it'll make us all better players that's for sure!

Anyways,
ROUND 2
81,000 points ^>^

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Edited: 10/01/2013 at 05:56 PM by sunsetflip84

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:46:45 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Round 2: 30,100 points

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:30:47 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
I really want to put a score in for this one. GTA is just taking up a lot of my time. And yes, I am using that as my excuse.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:44:18 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
UPDATE: game won
score 573,300

you have to take a score on the final boss, otherwise, you wont be able to see it later...

I know this wont be the lowest score, but i said screw it, im gonna be this sucker....

UPDATE: 
ok, so I played through again, and took a pic of the final screen

it is a little blurry, but this was the best of 3 pics i took

that screen is up for literal seconds, so i did the best i could

hope this is acceptable

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 01:02 PM by mattyjmania

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:16:48 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
There's something quite problematic with the situation. The final score screen says game clear instead of round clear, so it is a good indicator of what score you had when beating the game.

I would suggest to be instantly ready to take a picture of the game clear screen with the final score to be the best way to take your picture. Mog and I beat the game in one life years ago and we both had a pic of the game clear with our final score, so it is doable, but I know there's not much time to do it.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:00:54 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: guillavoie

There's something quite problematic with the situation. The final score screen says game clear instead of round clear, so it is a good indicator of what score you had when beating the game.

I would suggest to be instantly ready to take a picture of the game clear screen with the final score to be the best way to take your picture. Mog and I beat the game in one life years ago and we both had a pic of the game clear with our final score, so it is doable, but I know there's not much time to do it.
yeah

it happens SO fast that i dont know what else i could have done, etc

if need be, for now, i can/will take the highest score possible, with the game won, and just go for it again and be ready i suppose

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 11:02 AM by mattyjmania

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:03:41 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

ok

i played through and won again

took a pic of the final screen

i also have a pic of me at the boss with 3 lives left too, if needed

man, this is certainly a "tricky" situation that i suppose we will have to wait for bimmy to review

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:13:29 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
For those who beat the game, I would play it safe and take a picture at the final boss so you can at least secure a score. However, if you beat the game, have your camera ready to take the picture upon completion. It doesn't stay up long, so be fast.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:44:36 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

For those who beat the game, I would play it safe and take a picture at the final boss so you can at least secure a score. However, if you beat the game, have your camera ready to take the picture upon completion. It doesn't stay up long, so be fast.

so, does my game won
score 573,300

count?

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:33:11 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

so, does my game won
score 573,300

count?

Yes, your score counts.  I would like anyone who beats the game to take their picture on the Game Clear screen like you did.  Everyone will have to be fast since the screen doesn't stay up long, so be ready.  I would encourage anyone who gets to the final boss to take a picture and secure a score rather than waiting until you get to the Game Clear screen and miss getting a picture.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:44:00 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

Originally posted by: mattyjmania

so, does my game won
score 573,300

count?

Yes, your score counts.  I would like anyone who beats the game to take their picture on the Game Clear screen like you did.  Everyone will have to be fast since the screen doesn't stay up long, so be ready.  I would encourage anyone who gets to the final boss to take a picture and secure a score rather than waiting until you get to the Game Clear screen and miss getting a picture.

yeah

that makes sense

and to all, NO JOKE, that screen lasts for like 5 seconds, MAX and more like 2 seconds once it tallys up your points, so when bimmy says BE FAST, he means it! 

also, other tips/strategies I can provide is this: I tried my best to not kill anything on the first 3 stages...then, once you get to stage 4, unless you like dying, you will have to kill enemies on stages 4-6, as these enemies are much faster, and more aggressive then the previous 3 stages

also, try your best to "eat the clock" and finish the stage with as little time as possible...remember to save SOME time, as time does carry over into the boss battles (as well, some bosses, they give you a little more time too)

I know my score it def too high to stay at #1, but these are a few tips i am happy to provide

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:45:50 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
bump, anyone playing this awesome alien game?

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:20:14 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Yep :-)

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:49:57 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
I've been playing, but these rules are taking the fun out of it for me.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:52:48 PM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Hoping to post a score tonight

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:58:05 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: link463

That's a silly call, cause you could play the game without trying to get a low score and concentrate on simply beating it instead. Right now, even with a score of 10 millions, anybody who beat the game would take the second place.

Getting a low score is an important question only once you know you can beat the game easily. Otherwise, advancing through the game is the priority.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:53:23 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Originally posted by: link463

That's a silly call, cause you could play the game without trying to get a low score and concentrate on simply beating it instead. Right now, even with a score of 10 millions, anybody who beat the game would take the second place.

Getting a low score is an important question only once you know you can beat the game easily. Otherwise, advancing through the game is the priority.

Maybe it's just the way the rules are worded? Usually in low score contests it's made clear that low score only matters in a tie, second to how far each person gets in the game. This seems more vague.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:50:54 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Edited: 10/06/2013 at 12:58 PM by Dennis Fleaman

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:55:26 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Dev, please, take the habit to write your score with a big font so it is easier for Bimmy to tally your score. What is your score? 287,000? Strange enough, why can't we see 'GAME' instead of just the 'E'.