Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Ninja Gaiden 2 Contest ends Sunday, 5/27/18 at 11 PM NA time

May 21, 2018 at 10:48:53 AM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

This game blew my mind when it came out.   At the time, beating this game was my crowning video game achievement.  I loved the cinematics, and we were all so mad that we didn't have the VCR ready to "tape" the ending.    Speaking of 2-2, we thought that the wind effect was amazing.  Now I just find it annoying  

-------------------------
Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Edited: 05/27/2018 at 10:47 PM by smick

May 21, 2018 at 2:28:02 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Likely will be a low effort from me this week. I just can't roll with the big dogs on any Ninja Gaiden game. No sense burning a bunch of time to only end up getting participation anyways.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

May 21, 2018 at 3:03:10 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Just spent almost 1k on glasses today, so I need to find something free to do..... guess I'll have a few beers and play Ninja Gaiden for a few hours.

May 21, 2018 at 4:12:12 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Woooowhooooooo lets go Richie!!!

Krunch gonna let me gain some ground this week!!!

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

May 21, 2018 at 5:05:15 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

I think my chances are good. We've got Loopz, Bandai Golf, Super Pitfall, Hatris and Qix coming up. NARC, Trojan, Ski or Die, Kung Fu Heroes, Astyanax, Soccer I think I can top you as well. Mach Rider and Batman Returns are toss-ups. The rest you will beat me, though I'm not sure about Mutant Virus. By my count I've got the advantage and a current lead, but it's gonna depend on who else participates and how many points we can net on each other each round.

May 21, 2018 at 5:09:43 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Krunch

I think my chances are good. We've got Loopz, Bandai Golf, Super Pitfall, Hatris and Qix coming up. NARC, Trojan, Ski or Die, Kung Fu Heroes, Astyanax, Soccer I think I can top you as well. Mach Rider and Batman Returns are toss-ups. The rest you will beat me, though I'm not sure about Mutant Virus. By my count I've got the advantage and a current lead, but it's gonna depend on who else participates and how many points we can net on each other each round.

Heheeeeeeee!!! 

If you keep keep talking like that I might have to go live in the shed and play Nintendo games until Christmas 🎄 !!!

ya but I have never played many of those games.

May 21, 2018 at 5:11:23 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

NARC on the NES is so bad. It's probably my least favorite NES game that I own. And I'm terrible at it.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

May 21, 2018 at 9:42:40 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Score: 62,600

Edited: 05/21/2018 at 09:43 PM by Ausden

May 22, 2018 at 4:09:38 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: mbd39

NARC on the NES is so bad. It's probably my least favorite NES game that I own. And I'm terrible at it.

Yeah I was playing it a bit on emulator during the break week.  Definitely a sketchy game, the controls aren’t superb and the hit detection is totally wonky.  Last time I played was 2013, and the hit box on the final boss is so precise that I just couldn’t beat him.  Since it was a progress contest I never got the placement I felt I could have achieved... this time will be different. 

May 22, 2018 at 4:11:45 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

Heheeeeeeee!!! 

If you keep keep talking like that I might have to go live in the shed and play Nintendo games until Christmas 🎄 !!!

ya but I have never played many of those games.

You gonna use your princess TV?  ðŸ‘‘ 📺 

Maybe we should raise the regular season stakes with an avatar change wager? 😈

May 22, 2018 at 4:15:09 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Yeah I was playing it a bit on emulator during the break week.  Definitely a sketchy game, the controls aren’t superb and the hit detection is totally wonky.  Last time I played was 2013, and the hit box on the final boss is so precise that I just couldn’t beat him.  Since it was a progress contest I never got the placement I felt I could have achieved... this time will be different. 

The controls are terrible. I know that the NES pad has limited buttons, but there must have been a better way.

I don't know how people can reach the final boss. There are lots of enemies that are constantly shooting and my health/lives deplete fast. I think stage 3 is the furthest I got.

May 22, 2018 at 4:20:23 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

The controls are terrible. I know that the NES pad has limited buttons, but there must have been a better way.

I don't know how people can reach the final boss. There are lots of enemies that are constantly shooting and my health/lives deplete fast. I think stage 3 is the furthest I got.

Yeah and what’s with the button layout? It’s not intuitive

We’re you playing it for the contest with low score?  We were all just avoiding enemies while we play.  It’s about forward momentum and strafing, and I like to pretend it’s a platformer when being shot at from behind and needing to jump over bullets.

you have to admit for all it’s flaws that they nailed the theme

May 22, 2018 at 4:24:27 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Yeah and what’s with the button layout? It’s not intuitive

We’re you playing it for the contest with low score?  We were all just avoiding enemies while we play.  It’s about forward momentum and strafing, and I like to pretend it’s a platformer when being shot at from behind and needing to jump over bullets.

you have to admit for all it’s flaws that they nailed the theme

I was trying it out after ordering it earlier this year for the contests.

I remember I wasn't impressed with the game as a kid, and I was right. This should have been ported to the Sega Genesis instead.

The game does have stronger content than is usually allowed by Nintendo.

Edited: 05/22/2018 at 04:25 PM by mbd39

May 22, 2018 at 4:41:53 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Once you get used to the way the controls handle in Narc, it becomes easier to progress further in the game. Learning how to use the rockets (tap the A button) can help out in situations where you get swarmed with enemies. Level 2 can get annoying if too many of the needle-throwing Spike Rushs get on the screen and they start hitting you with those needles. Dealing with the dogs quickly also helps keep them from draining your life. You can arrest the enemies if you stand against them for a few seconds for more points, but I wouldn't recommend someone doing it until they get more comfortable with the game. The best place to practice this is in Level 1 with the Das Lof gang members. I wouldn't recommend trying to arrest Joe Rockhead (the big blue guy in Level 3, that is, if you can arrest him) because he will grab you and shake you if you get to close. I believe that Kinky Pinky, the clown, cannot be arrested at all. When you get to the Greenhouse (I think it's Level 5), you can collect plants for bonus points, but be aware that a few of them have bombs underneath, and if you collect those specific ones, you set off the bomb and get hurt quite a bit. And Krunch is correct about the hit box on the final battle with Mr. Big. It's very, very precise and difficult to hit (it's either his nose or mouth, can't remember which), making it an annoying and grueling fight. I recommend stocking up on bombs for the battle against Mr. Big, which you can easily get tons of from fighting enemies right before entering his inner sanctum.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 22, 2018 at 5:08:02 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Once you get used to the way the controls handle in Narc, it becomes easier to progress further in the game. Learning how to use the rockets (tap the A button) can help out in situations where you get swarmed with enemies. Level 2 can get annoying if too many of the needle-throwing Spike Rushs get on the screen and they start hitting you with those needles. Dealing with the dogs quickly also helps keep them from draining your life. You can arrest the enemies if you stand against them for a few seconds for more points, but I wouldn't recommend someone doing it until they get more comfortable with the game. The best place to practice this is in Level 1 with the Das Lof gang members. I wouldn't recommend trying to arrest Joe Rockhead (the big blue guy in Level 3, that is, if you can arrest him) because he will grab you and shake you if you get to close. I believe that Kinky Pinky, the clown, cannot be arrested at all. When you get to the Greenhouse (I think it's Level 5), you can collect plants for bonus points, but be aware that a few of them have bombs underneath, and if you collect those specific ones, you set off the bomb and get hurt quite a bit. And Krunch is correct about the hit box on the final battle with Mr. Big. It's very, very precise and difficult to hit (it's either his nose or mouth, can't remember which), making it an annoying and grueling fight. I recommend stocking up on bombs for the battle against Mr. Big, which you can easily get tons of from fighting enemies right before entering his inner sanctum.

Hmm almost seems like you’re planning to make this one high score and not progress/low score.  I think I would do better with a high score, there’s a timer right?

May 22, 2018 at 5:26:45 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Hmm almost seems like you’re planning to make this one high score and not progress/low score.  I think I would do better with a high score, there’s a timer right?

There's no timer in the game, so this one may have to be progress based, but we shall see.  A lot of my tips above are for people who might be struggling with the game.  One thing I forgot to mention is that you get an extra life every 100,000 points, so you can load up on lives if you play for score.  Grabbing as many drug bags and money stacks from dead enemies as you can, along with busts, can really up your score.  Destroying the drug vats in Level 2 and collecting the plants in Level 5 nets you lots of bonus points as well.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 22, 2018 at 5:36:14 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Wow. Well, what else would I expect. No life refill in between forms of the last boss and when you die you go back to the beginning of 7-2.

You almost have to no death.

May 22, 2018 at 5:47:14 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
This is my copy of NGII  

Edited: 05/22/2018 at 05:47 PM by skinnygrinny

May 22, 2018 at 7:15:08 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Anyone else think that this has some of the best graphics and music on the NES? The graphics in particular are much more polished than the first Ninja Gaiden.

May 22, 2018 at 9:37:03 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Anyone else think that this has some of the best graphics and music on the NES? The graphics in particular are much more polished than the first Ninja Gaiden.
I don’t think I’ve played NGII for more than an hour or two my whole life until this past week. It has quickly become a game I enjoy very much. Putting ones gameplay skills to a serious test. 

I agree it is one of the better action platformers, in this style. Better than the original NG. Shatterhand rules though   

the music, although not the best imo, does a great job psyching you up to run, jump and slash through a stage non stop. 

NGII is a really good game. Any damage I take I find was my own fault. The later stages are very unforgiving and if you miss an enemy you can soon find yourself being pinballed around in an unending volley between enemies, or quickly knocked off a platform. 

The deaths arent “cheap” though. You just can’t get yourself out of a bad situation by hacking away because your attack has to be very precise with each enemy and your jumps have to be just as precise. Like a ninja. 

I think it will be tough for me to no death. Honestly I haven’t made it further than rage 6 with the five lives. But I find myself itching to play this one, grind on it. I think I might be able to get to an end screen with the 5 lives by the end of the week... I hope  

May 22, 2018 at 9:53:52 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

This is my copy of NGII  

Hot damn! That puts SMB3 to shame.

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

May 22, 2018 at 10:12:18 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

This is my copy of NGII  

An Aerial blanket and a Man E Faces figure? Hot damn boy you are the shiznit! 

I always liked Trap Jaw and Triclops better though. 

Edited: 05/22/2018 at 10:13 PM by gutsman004

May 22, 2018 at 10:16:45 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
He-Man gay? Nah...

May 23, 2018 at 12:10:51 AM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I'm still alive and still barely in here and mediocre, ha. Hope everyone's been well! 

May 23, 2018 at 5:20:20 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

You gonna use your princess TV?  ðŸ‘‘ 📺 

Maybe we should raise the regular season stakes with an avatar change wager? 😈

Haha!!! No no no. No bets! Not until I can play full time again. 

I might break out the princess tv though