Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It's called NintendoAGE, not NESAge Any chance other Nintendo consoles will be covered?

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:34:20 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Sounds good to me. What I'll do is build a very very simple interface for you to enter information and upload images (just to save some time on my end). Later on, as it nears completion, I'll flesh it out and integrate it into the site admin area. The site admin area is pretty slick in usability, but that takes time, and so I'd put that part off temporarily.

We would need general information about each game, such as name, developer, publisher, cart ID, cart scan (front and back), box scan (front and back), manual scan (each page), and any inserts (this could be done at a later time though). The rest of the information we could fill in afterwards (unless you want to do the whole ball of wax now).

-Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:18:37 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Yay! I am glad to see this is the direction we are going. I also agree that we probably need a dedicated server for the site before we launch any other systems, the timeouts will get horrible then. (I had horrible luck with adding scans in earlier, timeouted ever few scans).

I would suggest that Nick and Wrldstrman get together and talk about this before it gets to far in depth. For instance get a master list togther, then both of you go down the list for cart, box, and manual and assign a rarity level (like the one on NA of course) and give them a value. The ones you don't agree on talk about. Come terms and we will be set to go after Nick spends an assload of time scanning. It will be a TON of work on the front end, but the rewards will be awsome once it is all done. Just make sure to backup your scans every day or 2. I just lost a few hundreds scans for NA cause my PC died last week. Nothing worse than having to re-scan what you just scanned. Exciting times on NA. The first few years it what will make the site IMO.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:45:47 PM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Good to see that we are going to at least give this a good go Nick and Doug are the two guys to do it. I look forward to seeing some of the work they do!

Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:12:15 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
If you're just looking for Titles, serial numbers and release years, here's a good snes list.

http://snescentral.edgeemu.com.../snes_rarity_list.txt

the rarity is close but not perfect but I consider it better than the DP guide. It's missing the ISS and ISS deluxe SN but I have those on the offical nintendo internal pdf's. I also have my own research on the snes, and have my rarity based back on a 10 point scale, but I'm sure there's other that may disagree with me on some titles.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:33:22 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
That is a nice list, the best I have seen for SNES in fact. I would like to collect SNES one day, so I went ahead and saved the list. Thanks for posting it. That would be a great start at least for populating the SNES stuff. Now someone just needs to buy dkazz's 15k SNES lot and we will be in business. haha.
~~NGD

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:59:53 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I've got a list of all 296 N64 releases, but what else should be on the list? Unreleased games? NFR kiosk carts? Prototypes? Test carts?

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:32:13 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I'm thinking for SNES, although I can help, I don't know all that much about the rarities of most of them. RGG seems to know SNES fairly well, maybe she could help with the rarity aspect. If we do get the go-ahead, I could try asking a SNES collector on RFGen to help out with the rarities...

And Nick, I would include everything, same as the NES database. The only thing I would leave out is the protos, unless they're unreleased games, or games that were substantially different from their released counterparts (ie Big Nose and the Witch Doctor).

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:14:22 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Protos would be used in the additional images section, so snag as many of them as you can as well.
~~NGD

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:50:15 PM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
Scanned about 190 n64 boxes today, front and back, at 150 dpi.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:55:26 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Damn!!! That is awesome Nick. Just try your best to make sure the scans are straight and will crop well. I used a ruler to keep my scans even and straight. Great work though, that is a LOT of scanning.
~~NGD

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:40:22 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: burnambill333

I've got a list of all 296 N64 releases, but what else should be on the list? Unreleased games? NFR kiosk carts? Prototypes? Test carts?

The answer to that question is simple: ask yourself, "If I were on a site that was dedicated to XX platform, what would I want to see?"

That said, Unreleased, Kiosk, Protos, Demo, Test, etc would all fit perfectly.

-Dain

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:41:13 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina

Scanned about 190 n64 boxes today, front and back, at 150 dpi.

Holy shitballs! Wow man, that's impressive(and I mean that)! I guess I better get to making an interface to load all that info.

-Dain

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:48:47 AM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
Here's what they look like. They are scanned at 150 dpi with high resolution, making the filesize HUGE (around 300 kb per picture). What is your projected filesize per picture? If you ask me they are too big right now which would kill your bandwidth.

http://www.nicholassmorgan.com/pics/n64boxart/

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:18:04 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
300 KB per picture is about right actually -- the system will thumbnail the images for the smaller versions seen on game pages. I think the size is just right.

-Dain

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:24:35 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
i have about 200+ SNES Games and almost 100 N64 Games. Although unfortunately i dont have a scanner :-(, i would be willing to take pics of each snes cart though and put em on a disc and mail em to one of you guys, if that would work. I also have some HTF CIB snes games like final fight guy, drac x megamns etc. But they would have to be photos. I do have a sweet camera though. just lemme know.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:57:13 AM
klarthailerion (0)
(Kenny Sutherland) < Cherub >
Louisiana

Here's what they look like. They are scanned at 150 dpi with high resolution, making the filesize HUGE (around 300 kb per picture). What is your projected filesize per picture? If you ask me they are too big right now which would kill your bandwidth.

http://www.nicholassmorgan.com/pics/n64boxart/

Would you have a problem with other sites using your images? Specifically, would you mind if I filled in the holes and improved upon any poorer quality existing images in VGRebirth.org's N64 images using your scans?

All images on that site are automatically scaled down to a maximum resolution of 200 pixels on the largest side, so it wouldn't be a direct copy. If you (or anyone else who puts the effort into scanning games and boxes) would be okay with it, we'd be more than happy to give credit where credit is due. I'd need to create/have an account created for a given username to assign credit on an individual title, but I could always make a news post and/or a forums post to let people know where the effort is coming from as well.

And, of course, the NintendoAge staff and users would be more than welcome to cross reference their lists and information against what's in the VGRebirth database. Any suggestions or corrections would be greatly appreciated, too. Since we're trying to cover retro to current systems, sometimes mistakes make it through the cracks.

- Kenny

Stuff. Also, things.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:19:48 AM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
Hey Kenny, that's fine with me.

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:31:06 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I've been meaning to fill some gaps over there as well, just have to dig out the scanner from under this here pile of crap on my desk...

Two birds with one stone - I could fill in a bunch of gaps in the -CAN section here...maybe I should get on that...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee