NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner Variations Engine http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=203 2006-11-28T12:42:16 -05.00 dangevin 2 >>but comments say that the 3-screw is still unconfirmed and Rarity is a 0

Fixed. Nice catch!

>>No Famicom adapter variants are entered - again I assume these just
>>haven't been populated, like the round/oval seal variants aren't fully
>>populated. Also, Maxi-15 has no entries for any of its label variants yet.

Yep, on the list to populate still.

>>NES-ZL-USA (loz gold) is missing entirely, the only regional variant
>>entries are the no-code and the -1 code.
>>NES-UM-USA (smb3) has a picture of the NES-UM-USA-1 cart, and there is
>>no regional variant for the -1 code yet.

I'm still debating what to do about -1, -2, -3 variations as well as games that had no code initially and a code in a re-release. On one had, I don't want multiple entries for the same game in the same region (which is occurring now on many games). On the other hand, some of those -1 variations are major variations (such as yellow label Metroid, etc) that might merit a separate entry. Again, I think I still need to think on this one and come to a decision and roll with it without looking back.

>>NES-MT-USA-1 (yellow metroid) has a variant entry in the 3-vs-5-screw
>>category, and the NES-MT-USA (grey) has no such entry. This should be
>>the other way around.

Fixed. Another nice catch!

>>Alpha Mission's variant entry picturing and discussing it's 5-screw
>>scarcity is classified as a "3-screw rerelease" instead of "5-screw release"

Actually, all of them will have the 5 screw version in the main picture (since it came first, and once I finish scanning them). The variation picture (3 screw) will actually be the one that is currently in the main picture, since it was released later. I wasn't sure how to point out that the 5 screw version is actually the rare one, not the re-release. I'm still thinking I might just put the most common game in the main window and the variation would be the uncommon one, even if it came first.

>>Finally, all of the following have a picture of the 3-screw cart as the
>>main database cart scan, then also a variant entry for the 3-screw
>>re-release. I'm guessing the most frequently found cart variant was used
>>as the main scan and the variant would be the more scarce 5-screw, but none
>>of these are classified as such and are just kind of redundant now and make
>>no mention that 5-screw versions actually exist:
>>
>>Breakthru, Deadly Towers, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Goonies II, Hogan's Alley,
>>Ikari Warriors, Legend of Kage, Lode Runner, Lunar Pool, Ring King, Super Mario
>>Bros, Rygar, Section Z, Top Gun, Winter Games, Wizards & Warriors, Zanac

These still need to be scanned and swapped. I wanted to get the data in there so that searches would at least have data, and figured I'd get the scans up later. See 10-Yard Fight as an exmaple of what they'll all look like. The left image will always be the early release, the right always the later release. The variation verbiage, however, may be catered to the more rare of the two -- I'm still debating this one.

>>Thanks for all the hard work, this NintendoAGE function the one I was most
>>eagerly awaiting and it doesn't disappoint.

Thanks for the kudos, and the help! It really gives me fuel I need at times to keep truckin' along

BTW, the variations search portion still has a few neat features coming (super soon!). I've got some code I'll be adding in the next day or two that "detects" when you search for a variation and shows a new column in the results page called "Confirmed?". You can also search for confirmed or unconfirmed by variation type on the game page (or results page) by clicking the "yes" or "no" -- it will show you those values withing that variation "scope."

But, it gets better -- the search results page has a new surprise as well. I won't spoil the surprise, but you can do some nifty things with it now (once I update the site to v0.18 alpha, check it out).

-Dain ]]>
Variations Engine http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=203 2006-11-28T11:51:25 -05.00 dangevin 2
Donkey Kong JR - Variant notes that a 3-screw has been confirmed "Yes", but comments say that the 3-screw is still unconfirmed and Rarity is a 0

No Famicom adapter variants are entered - again I assume these just haven't been populated, like the round/oval seal variants aren't fully populated. Also, Maxi-15 has no entries for any of its label variants yet.

NES-ZL-USA (loz gold) is missing entirely, the only regional variant entries are the no-code and the -1 code.

NES-UM-USA (smb3) has a picture of the NES-UM-USA-1 cart, and there is no regional variant for the -1 code yet.

NES-MT-USA-1 (yellow metroid) has a variant entry in the 3-vs-5-screw category, and the NES-MT-USA (grey) has no such entry. This should be the other way around.

Alpha Mission's variant entry picturing and discussing it's 5-screw scarcity is classified as a "3-screw rerelease" instead of "5-screw release"

Finally, all of the following have a picture of the 3-screw cart as the main database cart scan, then also a variant entry for the 3-screw re-release. I'm guessing the most frequently found cart variant was used as the main scan and the variant would be the more scarce 5-screw, but none of these are classified as such and are just kind of redundant now and make no mention that 5-screw versions actually exist:

Breakthru, Deadly Towers, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Goonies II, Hogan's Alley, Ikari Warriors, Legend of Kage, Lode Runner, Lunar Pool, Ring King, Super Mario Bros, Rygar, Section Z, Top Gun, Winter Games, Wizards & Warriors, Zanac

By the way, all of the carts with a 5-screw cart scan have correct 3-screw variant entries.

Thanks for all the hard work, this NintendoAGE function the one I was most eagerly awaiting and it doesn't disappoint. ]]>