NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T21:16:04 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: Tulpa

I understand that, but it seems to favor "Homebrews" and programming for the NES (NES assembly code).
In other words, is it also for indie game dev for any type? Using C# or whatever engine?

You tend to have more NES homebrewers since the console is relatively simple and games can be done by a small team (or one person.) But there's nothing stopping any other platform from being discussed.

Gloves argued in my thread that one person could make a retro style game as quick as 16 trained Nintendo veterans when they were making Super Mario World (which - there is video - Miyamoto shows the proprietary engine they built for it and other games).

I definitely never said that, for one. That said, I will say it here. Absolutely, one person can whip out a game as quickly as a team did back in the day. Of the same quality and polish? No of course not (again, I never said that). That was the problem I was stating in my original post on the other thread you made, is that it's so easy now to make games that look retro, that hardly anyone is putting in the effort to make actually good ones - many are quick cash grabs trying to take advantage of nostalgia, and these have flooded the market. Just look at Steam, Xbox, PSN, and even Switch to a degree - shit games in a retro style are everywhere because they are quick and easy to make.

What about shit 3D games? They are "arguably" just as easy to make. That's like saying you don't need a record label now - so the market is flooded with crappy music because it is easier to distribute now... you don't have to press a CD, a booklet, etc.

3D games are definitely not as easy to make, and certainly nowhere near as easy to make them look at least decent. 

Why? You could simply buy or license an FPS engine through Unreal Engine, buy the assets (models, skins, etc)... It's an X, Y, Z compared to an X and a Y with flipbook animation. Get a license to Gaia, TreeMaker. You'll be set.

Buy RPG Maker, or any number of platforming engines, or shmup engines for that matter. Fact is, at a glance, it's much easier to make 2d sprites look palatable than anything 3D rendered. In general people can tell when a 3D character is a copy pasta, versus sprites which tend to be easier to mix it up.
That's more of an opinion than a fact. I can tell certain sprite artist's work after studying them. I have guys at school that are great with Blender, and can simulate working 3D slot machines and sell them to people in Vegas. I came in already knowing how to make 3D games, and am leaving more intrigued about 2D games.

You basically have a model which is almost like a puppet with 3D... it isn't frame by frame animation like a cartoon. Do you make games? ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T21:11:28 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

I understand that, but it seems to favor "Homebrews" and programming for the NES (NES assembly code).
In other words, is it also for indie game dev for any type? Using C# or whatever engine?

You tend to have more NES homebrewers since the console is relatively simple and games can be done by a small team (or one person.) But there's nothing stopping any other platform from being discussed.

Gloves argued in my thread that one person could make a retro style game as quick as 16 trained Nintendo veterans when they were making Super Mario World (which - there is video - Miyamoto shows the proprietary engine they built for it and other games).

I definitely never said that, for one. That said, I will say it here. Absolutely, one person can whip out a game as quickly as a team did back in the day. Of the same quality and polish? No of course not (again, I never said that). That was the problem I was stating in my original post on the other thread you made, is that it's so easy now to make games that look retro, that hardly anyone is putting in the effort to make actually good ones - many are quick cash grabs trying to take advantage of nostalgia, and these have flooded the market. Just look at Steam, Xbox, PSN, and even Switch to a degree - shit games in a retro style are everywhere because they are quick and easy to make.

What about shit 3D games? They are "arguably" just as easy to make. That's like saying you don't need a record label now - so the market is flooded with crappy music because it is easier to distribute now... you don't have to press a CD, a booklet, etc.

3D games are definitely not as easy to make, and certainly nowhere near as easy to make them look at least decent. 

Why? You could simply buy or license an FPS engine through Unreal Engine, buy the assets (models, skins, etc)... It's an X, Y, Z compared to an X and a Y with flipbook animation. Get a license to Gaia, TreeMaker. You'll be set.

Buy RPG Maker, or any number of platforming engines, or shmup engines for that matter. Fact is, at a glance, it's much easier to make 2d sprites look palatable than anything 3D rendered. In general people can tell when a 3D character is a copy pasta, versus sprites which tend to be easier to mix it up. ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T21:08:11 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: Gloves

Why? You could simply buy or license an FPS engine through Unreal Engine, buy the assets (models, skins, etc)... It's an X, Y, Z compared to an X and a Y with flipbook animation. Get a license to Gaia, TreeMaker. You'll be set. ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T21:06:23 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

3D games are definitely not as easy to make, and certainly nowhere near as easy to make them look at least decent.  ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T20:48:46 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: Gloves

What about shit 3D games? They are "arguably" just as easy to make. That's like saying you don't need a record label now - so the market is flooded with crappy music because it is easier to distribute now... you don't have to press a CD, a booklet, etc. ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T20:09:40 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

Yeah Brewery makes sense. It's just a game dev category. Anything related goes there, by my understanding. If people don't like the aesthetic they're likely to just not post. Thread crapping is looked down upon in general.

If you look at the thread I posted about the retro aesthetic... it got crapped on a bit. But you were on the thread so you saw. lol
At this point I'm just afraid of even what I can and can't say.

I dont think I would qualify that as “crapping”. 

And if you are not sure about what you can and cant say, read the FAQ. Or, feel free to ask myself or any mod or admin.  ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T20:08:53 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

I'm talking comparing NES vs something like even SNES. There's a reason NES has way more homebrewers developing for it.
  ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T20:05:21 -05.00 Muta 21 Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

I definitely never said that, for one. That said, I will say it here. Absolutely, one person can whip out a game as quickly as a team did back in the day. Of the same quality and polish? No of course not (again, I never said that). That was the problem I was stating in my original post on the other thread you made, is that it's so easy now to make games that look retro, that hardly anyone is putting in the effort to make actually good ones - many are quick cash grabs trying to take advantage of nostalgia, and these have flooded the market. Just look at Steam, Xbox, PSN, and even Switch to a degree - shit games in a retro style are everywhere because they are quick and easy to make. ]]>
A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T20:04:32 -05.00 Muta 21 A possible forum subcategory suggestion. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=183197 2018-07-30T20:02:30 -05.00 Muta 21