NintendoAge http://nintendoage.com/forum/ -Sqooner NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T21:53:36 -05.00 guillavoie 84 NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T21:27:10 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Dang.

Forgot to post a score this week.

When do the tounaments start?

"The winter tournament will begin on December 28, 2014 and run through January 18, 2015." So once you deliver presents to all the good little girls and boys,you can kick your feet up and play in the tourney! ]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T18:55:56 -05.00 guillavoie 84
Forgot to post a score this week.

When do the tounaments start? ]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T12:39:09 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

But doesn't the spreadfire "disappear" when you shoot again?  ie, when you shoot, the bullets only go across the screen as far until you press fire again?  So when you're shooting really fast that means the bullets don't even go as far as you need them to sometimes.  That's why I usually just stick to the single bullet (level 3 I guess).
  Didn't seem that way to me, though I could be mistaken.

]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T12:28:15 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

haha, actually I hit the right ramp, I just didn't have enough speed.  I got caught going down the foxhole of wasting a ton of powerups trying to find a good "Fire" (I hate the 4-way fire) and never powered up my speed.  I think it actually helped having a slower speed when I was on the iceberg level, I miraculously only died once on that stage.  But by the time I got to the third race to the finish I couldn't jump far enough after hitting the ramp so I died on dry land.  

I must have had a good run for upgrade acquisition, since by the time I died (Level 14) I had:

Turbo + Fire Lvl 6 + Speed Maxed + Missiles Maxed

I managed to snag all of the bonus-level upgrades, pretty consistently, though, and I am super-aggressive about grabbing them in the race levels.

I usually only go to Fire level 2 (or 3, can't remember - whichever one is the best single bullet), then I get max speed (max missles is always first on the first collect the pods board).  

But I screwed up and probably went to Fire level 10 trying to find a good one, at the expense of speed.  But like I said, it seemed to help on the iceberg board.  It was like it wasn't as hard and they weren't popping up so fast since I wasn't going as fast.  But obviously I didn't get enough speed in time for that one jump.
If you're going to upgrade fire you need to do it all in one bonus level so you don't have to fight anything with a bad version.

Basically it was level 5 starts the spread gun, and level 6 is a super-spread gun.
Get that and leave it, basically.  (but I didn't even get that until pretty late in the game -- sometime after the 2nd boss)

But doesn't the spreadfire "disappear" when you shoot again?  ie, when you shoot, the bullets only go across the screen as far until you press fire again?  So when you're shooting really fast that means the bullets don't even go as far as you need them to sometimes.  That's why I usually just stick to the single bullet (level 3 I guess).

]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T11:56:23 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

haha, actually I hit the right ramp, I just didn't have enough speed.  I got caught going down the foxhole of wasting a ton of powerups trying to find a good "Fire" (I hate the 4-way fire) and never powered up my speed.  I think it actually helped having a slower speed when I was on the iceberg level, I miraculously only died once on that stage.  But by the time I got to the third race to the finish I couldn't jump far enough after hitting the ramp so I died on dry land.  

I must have had a good run for upgrade acquisition, since by the time I died (Level 14) I had:

I managed to snag all of the bonus-level upgrades, pretty consistently, though, and I am super-aggressive about grabbing them in the race levels.

I usually only go to Fire level 2 (or 3, can't remember - whichever one is the best single bullet), then I get max speed (max missles is always first on the first collect the pods board).  

But I screwed up and probably went to Fire level 10 trying to find a good one, at the expense of speed.  But like I said, it seemed to help on the iceberg board.  It was like it wasn't as hard and they weren't popping up so fast since I wasn't going as fast.  But obviously I didn't get enough speed in time for that one jump. If you're going to upgrade fire you need to do it all in one bonus level so you don't have to fight anything with a bad version.

Basically it was level 5 starts the spread gun, and level 6 is a super-spread gun.
Get that and leave it, basically.  (but I didn't even get that until pretty late in the game -- sometime after the 2nd boss)

]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T11:54:46 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

But I screwed up and probably went to Fire level 10 trying to find a good one, at the expense of speed.  But like I said, it seemed to help on the iceberg board.  It was like it wasn't as hard and they weren't popping up so fast since I wasn't going as fast.  But obviously I didn't get enough speed in time for that one jump. ]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T11:48:53 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T11:48:49 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: arnpoly

Originally posted by: arnpoly

I get the impression that a lot of people didn't realize you could "spin" as you crossed the finish line.

That was worth at least 5k per level, more if you had a higher speed.

Ha, you might be right because I had no idea.  It wouldn't have helped my score much (or motivation to play, for that matter) but it's neat to know.

Also, there turns out to be a trick to the crab boss... the top right corner is a safe zone... seek refuge and fire away.

Haha nice!  I had a little luck toward the bottom on the screen when I played.  I can see why the upper right is a good safe zone but I would have never thought to try that!

Any more insider information?  Please share! 

On the Save the People board (especially the last one, where the flying saucers have 3 missles each and you'll likely lose your life from that before losing all the people), you can just spin in donuts the whole time around the people while shooting.  You'll probably lose a few kids, but at least you'll likely pass the board without getting killed.

Also, avoid going directly straight through the "box" where you deposit the mines on those boards.  The effing mine sometimes will blow you up (this just happened to me on my game above, it's total b.s.).  I always try to somehow swing around to deposit the mine.

One time on the jump the waterfall board my finger barely slipped off the gas for a split second (right after the first jump), somehow that lined up the jumps perfectly and I just cruised full-gas straight over all the waterfalls without dying once.  I haven't been able to do that again, but I keep trying.

]]>
NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=139793 2014-12-22T11:39:17 -05.00 guillavoie 84 Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: guillavoie

I'll update this post tomorrow with the picture. It's pretty essential to hit all the targets on the bonus stage to get a high score, which I didn't on the second one. Wish I had more time to try again.

Thanks for putting the contests together!

We truly appreciate your nice words and score submission, but unfortunately the Cobra Triangle contest ended at 11 PM. This said, it was the last contest of the year, and you'll have the chance to start anew after the Holidays in the 2015 edition.

Yeah, I almost asked if the picture had to be up before the contest ended.  It was just a pain doing it from my phone.  But, definitely understood and no problem.

Just for posterity sake, here's my pic.  Even if I can't actually get points on the contest results board.  Maybe I can get a participation ribbon.  ha!

Definitely looks like you wiped out in the same level I did, in pretty much the same way!  (unfortunate ramp-hit and ending up on dry land)

]]>